We all have our favorites pieces of clothing and if yours happens to be one with sequins, here’s a little checklist on how you can better preserve it.
1. Use a hanger to store your sequin clothing instead of hanging it over an object or on a wall hook. For delicate dresses and gowns, put a plastic garment cover over it before hanging in the closet. This way, you protect it from possible snags.
2. Always read the washing instructions before turning it over to the cleaners. Some garments need to be hand washed, others can be machine washed (there are special instructions for that, too) or dry-cleaned.
3. Close all zippers or buttons before turning the sequined garment inside out prior to cleaning. Remove small objects left in pockets, if any.
4. Even if the garment is washing-machine friendly, take precautions. When a sequin comes off, others will follow suit because of the continuous threading. Take a pillowcase and put the dress inside. Tie the open end of the pillow case securely before tossing it into the machine.
5. Never use the dryer on your sequined garment as the heat might cause sequins to disfigure. To dry a sequin dress, hang (using a traditional hanger) or lay flat. Avoid folding sequined garments.
6. Remove hand jewelry especially rings when handling a sequined clothing. I’ve had too many dresses ruined because the threads got caught!